Friday, July 2, 2010

More Chairs and Planting Rhubarb

I finished building the second lounge chair.
It came out better than the first one. I filled in the screw holes better and added even more embellishments. The main difference can be seen on the back of the chair. The first chair is on the left. On the second chair, I added the rounded ends on the arm rests and moved the back support to the inside of the legs.
But there is no difference when you sit in them. They are very comfortable.
I highly recommend Ana White's Knock Off Wood Blog for free furniture plans.
http://www.knock-offwood.com/2010/05/furniture-plans-simple-outdoor-lounge.html Happy Summer!
Planting Rhubarb
I ordered 12 rhubarb plants this spring. I planted one in the flower bed by the greenhouse and one died, so I decided to plant the remaining 10 plants in the main garden.
When we lay out rows for planting, Darren's preferred method is to use two 2x2 stakes withe string between them and pound them in the ground at the ends of each row. Then pull them up and move them to do the next row, etc. I got tired of having to pound a 2x2 stake into the ground with the back of an ax for every row so I bought a garden reel. The metal stakes are easy to push into the ground and the reel holding the string spins freely.
The little knob on top holds the string tight and keeps the reel from spinning.
Here are the rhubarb laid out in a neat row...

1 comment:

  1. Cristina, your chairs are just beautiful! I love the mods you made too! Beautiful farm too!

    ReplyDelete